View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23

Heck, we all make mistakes and until I can ref a game from the stands where they can see all the correct calls , I'll continue to make them. I think it's hard for a coach to rag on me if I admit I kicked a call.

Mregor
I agree with you Mregor, as a coach I have a lot more respect for the guy who will admit he may have made a mistake. Do I expect him to change the call? No, but I have a lot more respect for that guy than the guy who will never admit to a coach that he may have made a mistake.

They showed a great exchange between Art Howe, who was miked, and Jerry Crawford during a baseball game a few years ago. Crawford made an out call on a ball that, replays showed had hit the ground first. It was the last out of the inning so Howe came running out to argu the call and Crawford said to him. "I may have missed that one, it sure looked like a catch at first but now I don't know." Art said to him "Jerry that cost us a run there." And Crawford says, " I know, but it sure did look like a catch, I'll get a better angle on the next one" Art says alright and goes back to the dugout. Great piece of officiating on a tough call I thought. But I know a lot of officials that would never admit that they may have missed one.

I do know what you guys are going through, I ump both college fastpitch and college and amatuer baseball in the summer. This is my first year of coaching basketball so I am trying very hard to increase my rules knowledge, and this board and you guys have helped me out a lot. Thanks.

[Edited by gsf23 on Feb 27th, 2003 at 02:16 PM]