View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
gsf23, what level do you coach? FT's awarded for a PC foul?

snaqwells
High School, Varsity game. In that situation, it wasn't really a player control foul, but that is what was called and reported to the table.

Well, here was the situation. My PG driving into the lane, just before my PG slams into a defender he drops the ball off to our center. Whistle, foul called and Player Control is signaled. The ref comes to the table and reports the foul as player control. Have no problem with the call at all, but as I look up they are lining up to shoot the bonus. So of course I jump up and am wondering why we are shooting fouls for player control. The ref came over and told me that my point guard passed the ball off before the contact so it wasn't player control and we are shooting the bonus. I said "So it was a charge and not player control then?" He said "yes", I said thank you and sat down.

And Chuck
Coaches and players, however, often think they already know the rules well enough and it would never occur to them to get a rulebook and study up. So we tell them that it might be to their benefit.

I agree with you that some coaches do need to know more about the rules of the game they are teaching. As a coach it would just be nice if someone would find out what I do know, before telling me to get a book. That was my only point there. Thanks.