View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 12, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'm leaning toward BBR's take, as well.

Bear in mind, the point of the indirect foul is for a head coach to "control his bench." The five desginated starters aren't on the bench.
Neither are team members during warmups nor are players who become bench personnel when time expires to end a quarter/half. The cases tell us that they are bench personnel even while still on the court starting the moment the ball becomes dead to end the quarter. So, why should they become players just by stepping on the court before a period begins. That would be completely inconsistent with how they cease to be players.

Consider this point....up to what time can you penalize the change of a designated starter? When does a starter become a player? It is the same moment that it is too late to penalize for the change of a starter....when the ball becomes live to toss the ball.

5-5-1 defines intermission, not pregame. Even for intermission it declares it to be the time between the 8 minute periods (and that it should be 1 minute). That would be the time up to the point where the 8 minute quarter begins. If you're suggesting that the quarter should begin the moment the time expires and the "players" enter the court, I suggest you look at the following rule...
Rule 6 Live Ball and Dead Ball
Section 2 STARTING GAME/QUARTER
The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.
If it is not intermission prior to this point, what is it?

I still assert that, according to 6-1-2, it is still pregame/intermission until the ball becomes live.