View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Batting Out Of Order or NOT

In a 14U JO ASA game after the batter completed her turn at bat and struck out for the third out of the inning the defensive coach came out of the dugout before the infielders were in foul territory and stated that the offensive team batted out of order. It was reported to the homeplate umpire by the defensive coach that number 44 was batting and not number 41 which was written on the lineup card. A runner crossed the plate two pitches prior to the strikeout so the run was taken away because of the batting out of order which I totally agree with. The only problem that I seen with the enforcement of the rule was that on the lineup card it had the girls names on it along with numbers and the girl in question at bat was the girl whose name was on the lineup card in that spot. Her number was written as 44 on the lineup card and not 41. I don't know if this would matter even if you had the wrong number because the ASA rulebook states Rule 7 Section 2 A. the batting order shall show the names, first and last, in the order in which the players are scheduled to bat. I think you could almost say the number was 41 its just a slash mark with the pencil. This was not my game but in my opinion I would not have called batting out of order since the girl in questions name was on the lineup card and she was batting.