View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This play, IMO, is an exception to the rule of getting your own on this play.

It's clear from Ed's delay that, for whatever reason, he had nothing and simply guessed at it. And then realized immediately he f*#$ed the call.

I've gone for help from the plate umpire on a play at first exactly twice in 24 years. Both of those were exceptions to the rule, too -- one was as a result of an F4 running right in front of me as the play happened at first base.

It could be another 12 years before I seek help again, it could be next week, or it might be never. No absolutes from me, but when people ask me in clinics about getting help, I (first) tell them to get the right angle in the first place and stop worrying about using another umpire to make your calls. Then I tell them how to go about doing it and mention that if they're doing it more than once every couple of years, they aren't working hard enough to get into position.
And if you were to follow what Rut is advocating, you wouldn't have been around for the secomd time.

There are more than enough officials around that believe the pedestal they sit on is much higher than it really is. It is good to see once in while that they wipe their butts just like us Rut.