View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The problem I see, depending on game situation, is that this kid might be his best player, and your invented penalty of telling the coach to bench him would be WORSE to that team than simply giving them the penalty they earned (the T) ... if the T is even necessary. Who knows how long before that next dead ball so he can reenter ... who knows if you've now forced that team to use a TO to get the kid back in. I can think of SO many things wrong about this, I'm very surprised it's tolerated, much less suggested or accepted.
The emphasis of summer ball is not winning so much as instruction, playing time, conditioning, etc. IOW, it's a learning time. Some coaches request this remedy.
Some don't even shoot free throws for Ts (some just give points, some shoot one shot) in the summer. Others would rather sit the kid, skip the free throws, and keep the game moving.
That said, if I were ever to make such a suggestion, it would be a suggestion only, and a coach would be free to ignore it without penalty. But if I was to take that step, the player would be awfully close to earning the T.