View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
I thought we played good D, challenging the shots cleanly, and body contact was initiated by the offense jumping into the defender (no disadv to the D, therefore incidental).

I actually called an offensive foul on a play like this early in the season but since then have no called it every time including this past Sunday in a men's rec. After reflecting on it, I was peeved with myself for not calling a charge because the guy jumped a good two feet into the defensive player on a drive along the baseline where he had to jump back in to get from behind the backboard. I have often seen this no called but at times wish it would be called a charge.

Appreciate any thoughts on this type of situation and how others handle it.
Contact was there but not severe, defense was set and remained vertical, defense was not displaced, and offense was forcing a shot over a well-positioned defender. This is, and always should be, a no-call in my book. And these were no-calls throughout the game.

As for this being a no-win situation, I guess it is if you mean are you going to please both coaches with either a call or a no-call. If the coach is watching the game, he may understand the no-call if it has been consistently been a no-call, but most coaches want any contact during a shot to be a foul on the defense. It doesn't work that way.