Thread: Picking battles
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Picking battles

Did some high school summer tournaments this weekend and picked a battle with a coach. He insisted to give "instructions" to his players during free throws. Of course, it was during the opponents free throws. I asked him to refrain from speaking during the free throw and he became flabbergasted At half time he wanted an explanation and I told him that opponents cannot disconcert the free thrower during his throw. He retorted that the packed gym will be making noise. I reminded him that opponents, not fans, cannot disconcert the free thrower. He disagreed. Sure enough, second half and he is giving "instructions" to his players, like box out, pinch that side, whose got the shooter, crap like that. Delay violation, miss first of two shot foul, and he is incredulous. Once more shot and he is again talking, delay, missed shot. To his credit he did stop after that one and just mumbled something about 35 years coaching he's never heard of such a thing. To cap it off, his guard is shooting and he said to one of his players to talk to the team because he couldn't talk during the free throws. I had to laugh at that one.