View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 20, 2011, 09:11am
This IS My Social Life

That's It Then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Freddy,
Your question has been discussed at length on this forum in the past. The most notable posts have come from MTD Sr. and Jurassic Referee.

There was an old interp from the NFHS stating that disconcertion is always a violation, and may also constitute a technical foul, but it does not have to be both.

Here it is as posted in another thread by JR:
POE #2 in the 2001/02 rule book---"The committee emphasizes that disconcertion is a violation and may result in a substitute throw. If persistent or deemed unsporting, the TEAM/player may also be penalized with a technical foul."
Disconcertion from bench
Thank you, Nevada.
I had researched the relevant past posts prior to posting and noted that there was no rules reference or casebook cited which explicitly said, in effect, "Bench personnel may be assessed the penalty for a violation for disconcertion." That old interp did say that bench personnel may be penalized for disconcertion. It was not clear whether or not that penalty can or cannot be a violation. And that's what I'm trying to solve.
Forgive me all, for my being persnickety (sp?). I was admonished at camp yesterday for calling a violation on the bench for disconcertion. The supervisor's point seemed to be that bench personnel cannot commit a violation, and that if it is merited then a technical foul is the only recourse. That's what I'm trying to sort out on the basis of the rules.
I appreciate the input of any and all on this matter.