Thread: illegal Sub
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
I understand Bfair. Lee's entrance into the game legalized him as a sub for Smith however, Lee was out and ejected for not being a legal substitute. Also, that position had an oppurtunity to at bat, therefore front and center, Mr.White.

I was wondering how the BO was handled.

The second part is confusing because the BO should be Jones, Smith, White and GW.

Therefore if Lee was discovered before or after the next pitch and as stated, Lee batted in the place of Jones, would'nt the BO position of Smith then be up? Lee can not be an illegal sub and be batting for Smith also! The fact that Lee normally did something has no bearing on what happened.

Sorry GRE144, I know this is your post but I would like to understand it also.
Typically illegally entry occurs when the substitution has not reported.
Still, for sake of argument, let's suppose Lee reported his illegal reentry but the nimrod umpire failed to pull his lineup card to verify and mark the change---thus failing to discover the illegal reentry at time of reporting.

Regardless of who Lee said he was subbing for, Lee is considered to have batted in the postion of and for the person who would have been the proper batter. Lee's out is, indeed, a declared out for that proper batting position. His out supersedes BOO. The next proper batter is due to bat from that point. Two outs are not declared for different reasons for the same batting spot. Only one out per batting slot occur in a game.
NOTE: BTW, I believe many years ago Fed did not word the rule accordgingly and their ruling, indeed, allowed for 2 outs to be declared to the same batting slot. They have now corrected that situation.

This is a good example, too, of why an umpire needs to verify reported changes as they occur. It's rather embarrassing when you could have avoided the situation with some preventative officiating but failed to do it because you didn't pull out your lineup.

Freix