View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think the PH was an "unnanounced" sub. He, as I read it, reported to the PU, who made the notation on the line-up card (edit: after re-reading the OP, I see no indication of whether there was a line-up card or notation.). That makes him a sub for whomever he reported.

The pU screwed up by not announcing this to the defense, so they didn't know what was going on.
Exactly. Say the players were using uniform numbers 1-9 to designate their batting spot. #8 should be due up, but #10 walks up; coach yells "Blue, #10 batting for #9!"

I mark the change on my card, then tell the defense, saying "#10 batting for #9 in the 9-hole." At this point, #10 is in the box, batting for #9. Even though #8 should be in the box, then we've got a simple BOO at this point. Because defense didn't notice it until B1 was hitting, that's not my fault.

Last I checked, it wasn't my job to ensure teams were following their batting order, and I don't check that the batter being changed is supposed to be the next batter -- it's offense and defense's jobs to make sure they're being followed.