View Single Post
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I know this is never ideal, and it's only a mechanic that is used as a last resort but a few times I've been called on to call a game from behind the pitcher. What's the best way to position myself to call pitches? Should I emulate the slot and stand on the same side of the pitcher as the batter or on the opposite side? What about pitches that arc a lot? And obviously, the angle sucks for balls down the line, any tips on how to make the best of a bad position? What about keeping the runners honest? I guess 2B is entirely on the honor system?

I know none of this positioning is ASA approved and I don't care really. I'm just interested in knowing how to make the best of a not so great situation.

I'm not interested in discussing why I ended up behind the pitcher. Sometimes in rec ball, things don't go the way they should and we end up in non-ideal situations but the teams want to play because they're there and are willing to tolerate a less than ideal ump situation as long as they can play.
Not a problem. I'll be just beyond the centerfield fence with a cooler at my feet. Like to guess what is in it?