View Single Post
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
So, I went to watch my nephew's Regional playoff game this afternoon.

The 2nd batter of the game was ejected for wearing jewelry. (One of the "livestrong" type rubber bracelets.)

I am reliably informed that the PU had mentioned the FED prohibition on wearing jewelry during the plate conference, and considered it his "warning".

Was the ejection in accordance with FED rules or not? What say you?

Thanks.

JM
Wow, ...

Sadly we had the same exact thing happen in state regional several years ago and we just about did not make it out of town.

F3 hits HR in his at bat and as he's coming home, PU sees jewelry and ejects him. Said same thing about warning in pre-game. This was in first inning.

Three man crew and both of us tried to get PU to change his mind, but this guy was an old smitty "know it all" and he would NOT change his mind.

The home team lost that game, in extra innings and F3 was their best player, it was not a good situation for an umpire to be in.

I went to our state officials post game and they agreed it was wrong, and sent a memo to all officials.

For years after, everytime I went to that school fans would bring up that play again.

I made it a point to never calle a game again with that official, and our governing body never let him call a HS playoff game again. He quit officiating a couple of years later, thankfully I should say.

Thanks
David