View Single Post
Old Tue May 17, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Pot, meet kettle. Post 48. Speaking of diminished integrity.
Now that was funny. I told Matt that he was arrogant because he told me he would give me an *** chewing for not being a perfect umpire. Thank you for making the case that I did not call you or the rest of the board (remember, you wrote 'US'?) arrogant. Your lie again unravels.

Quote:
If you're making such calls routinely, slow down. My point was on a banger, the umpire is making the call he thinks is correct. You want the umpire to now base his treatment of the now irate coach on whether he kicked the call or not. That's asinine. Maybe he did kick it... but surely, unless he's truly green and still making calls too fast, he doesn't THINK he kicked it.
Wow. You change my missed strike call to a banger? I'm sorry but I am not clairvoyant. If you intend to change the topic please alert the board.

Jim Evans spends an inordinate amount of time preaching that the biggest problem umpires have is rushing the call before the information processes. He has admitted to making mistakes involving as much. Are you suggesting that he is wrong to qualify his reaction to an irate coach too?

Quote:
Duplicity? Me? Show me a post where I said any of these things. I don't accept rules violations unless I've been told to issue warnings in a particular league or age group differently than the book says. (This actually happened this year... rang up a strike on a 10U who wouldn't get in the box, and was told to be a little more lenient next time).
So, you didn't involve yourself in any preventive umpire discussions here? (roll eyes)

Maybe this is part of the problem, I don't work 10U ball. Enjoy, those kids are fun to watch.

As stated, the NFHS has a policy in effect that allows umpires to exercise discretion. Also stated, if you don't like it, too bad. Take it up with them. I merely reported the rule.

Quote:
Please apologize or tell me where I lied.
I already did. You claimed that 99 people told me that I am wrong. You claimed that I said that all of you are arrogant (don't use 'us' and you won't look silly). You claimed that my advocacy of discretion is asinine and I showed you the rule that allows for it. Are those enough examples of your misrepresentation of the truth?

Quote:
No ... but this proves you completely missed my point - which was not that we never kick calls, but that we never THINK we kicked a call, at least right then in the heat of the moment - so basing your actions toward a coach who is trying to eject himself on whether you think you kicked it or not is just dumb.
That's bull. I knew immediately that I missed that strike. I have had far too many post games with guys who admit the same thing. Before conferences were allowed, I can remember partners who called outs only to see the ball on the ground and the inability to change their call. I have seen foul balls called fair only to hear my partner claim that he wasn't sure because a player straightlined him at the last instant.

Finally, I provided a quote from Jim Evans that illustrates that we make mistakes and they have consequences. Yes, a coach can cross the line and the rules allow for us to handle it. I have watched really good umpires toss away careers because they didn't want to be big-leagued by a coach, even though they blundered. They may have won the battle but lost the war. It makes little sense to insist you should be a hardass when your error caused the coach to react.