Thread: Clock Question?
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
What if B1 went up to block and pulled his hand down at the horn sound? You know that time didn't expire, but B played to the horn and stopped. Are you now penalizing them if the bucket counts?

Just trying to make it interesting
If A1 taps it in then it counts, assuming B1 did not touch the tip. If B1 came close best to huddle with your partners to get it right. Did B1 touch? If so, did more than .3 come off before A1 tapped?

First: We have established that the clock was not started correctly.

Second: A1 should not be penalized because the clock operator did not start the clock correctly. Therefore the goal shall count.

Third: The section and article in Rule 2 that states that the horn is the signal that ends all player activity is not applicable to this situation. Assume that the clock had been started correctly. B1 still has the right to attempt to block the shot. B1 could still even commit basket interference or goaltending after the horn and his activity would be allowed.

Fourth: If B1 had managed to tip the ball after A1 had tipped the ball and the ball still went through the basket, the field goal would have counted. I do not have my rule books in front if me and I am getting ready to go to bed, so I am sure that somebody will do my job for me and quote the appropriate NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's rule, section, and article that supports my position. I know it is there because my partner discussed this type of play a few weeks ago and the rule is there to back my interpretation.

Good night all.
Nothing about the clock starting improperly guarantees that the play legitimately took .3 seconds or less. Nothing you write here relieves us from our duty to get the play right, regardless of whether the clock started propoerly. If the clock started improperly good game management requires us to communicate with ourselves & the coaches our decision & the basis for our decision. Have a good nap.