View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I just turned 20 and find it hard (maybe more weird) to officiate Varsity and Div. II ball under what you described (composure, wisdom, ect.) Not to say that I don't convey those qualities, but to convey them consistently is what I find difficult. The whole place notices when someone my age walks onto the court and to me it feels as if I have to perform at a higher level with being the "odd one out" and youngest. Its hard to talk on the subject in my association since I have the next to youngest beat by 8 - 9 years, so I thought I would bring it up here. Does anyone view this the same or offer any tips?
This to me falls right under "It is what it is" I was in that position just about a couple of years ago. It really is just a matter of experience, coaches seeing you time and time again and going out there and reffing your game consistently. It is about "buy in". It just takes time for coaches to buy in to what you are selling. Stay confident, but not cocky (tough line to walk) and approachable but still stern (know when to draw the line w/ coaches and players) and you will gain your respect eventually...