View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In our Assocition we have had several 18-20 yr olds work MS, F/JV games and the like. Rare though. We have one early 20's official here that does HS V games. He's the "exception to the rule."

Similar to Mark, our Rec League will train anyone over 13 to do games. The youngest officials will do the 7/8 yr old league (they don't keep score). Based on evaluations is what level of game you will do up to 18U. I've had some 19/20 yr olds do 18U games with me before. Again, they're the exception to the rule - book knowledge, maturity, wisdom, experience, game management skills, composure, etc. are tough at that young age and all come into play. Some develop it earlier than others.

Maybe Justacoach will come along and let you know what his kids do/have done. I've reffed with them for yrs at many levels.
I just turned 20 and find it hard (maybe more weird) to officiate Varsity and Div. II ball under what you described (composure, wisdom, ect.) Not to say that I don't convey those qualities, but to convey them consistently is what I find difficult. The whole place notices when someone my age walks onto the court and to me it feels as if I have to perform at a higher level with being the "odd one out" and youngest. Its hard to talk on the subject in my association since I have the next to youngest beat by 8 - 9 years, so I thought I would bring it up here. Does anyone view this the same or offer any tips?