View Single Post
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 09:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
There is nobody involved that wants late running preliminary games. I'm guessing MAYBE the JV coach cares. Maybe.

Last year, I was standing in the corner with both teams (small gym) waiting for the JV game to finish so I can stand across from the table for 20 minutes watching girls not dunk. Both coaches were there and were talking to each other and to us. You should've heard them and the varsity players as the game went to OT and then to 2OT. The visiting coach openly rooted for one of her school's players to miss a free throw so the game would be over. We were all laughing at that.

As it is, these games are scheduled very tightly so that the busses don't have to leave the schools any earlier. JV (called Sophomore games at some schools/conferences) games start anywhere from 5:50PM to 6PM around here and are played on the varsity court. It takes everything going perfectly well to start on time. A whistle-happy JV crew will push a game back 15 minutes, at least. An OT will push it back at least 15-25 minutes. 2OT? We started at 8:15PM.
Well said Rich. Were you at my 2OT JV Game last yr? The V Officials, who also watched from the corner, didn't like the delay, but they said we did a really good job managing the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The only recognition the JVs get is a one line entry at the bottom of the boxscore.
They don't even get this much recognition around here.