View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting comparison... (Long & boring)

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
To me, an official is like a cop. I was brought up to respect cops because of the job they do.
I believe the correct term of respect would be Policeman, Officer, Sir or Ma'am.

Personally, I don't find the term "cop" much higher up the respect scale than "pig."

Just the humble way that I was brought up.
First:
I believe this thread is no longer a “coach exclusive” thread. Therefore, I will once again give praise to all the participants here for their diverse feedback. Each game situation and game management issue gets thoroughly dissected and supported by review of the applicable rules.

I have been saved from embarrassing “learning” experiences because of the variety of weird situations discussed here. For this, I am very thankful that the forum has expedited the learning curve, exponentially.

Bottom line: I am a much better official because of my involvement in this forum.
Second:
I am a teacher in a juvenile corrections institution and find myself CONSTANTLY correcting my students' use of derogatory terms to describe law enforcement officers. The most commonly used term is "Those damn cops... blah, blah, blah.." I politely, but sternly, redirect their statement (and attitude) by rephrasing their statement, "You mean, I strongly disagreed with the law enforcement officer...." It is a constant battle to get them to accept responsibility and not disrespect authority. Some of you may not find this to be a big deal, but it IS in the environment that I work.

You ask, "Why is he telling us this?"

We have had numerous threads about correct terminology and I feel that the dialogue about correct terminology in officiating and respectfully addressing officers parallels each other.

Interestingly, I am also a facilitor in a program that brings a retired detective into the institution. He is originally from NYC and does not censor himself in his presentation. So, what are some of the first words out of his mouth? "The cops are out there and they are gonna bust ya. Sooner or later they are gonna bust ya."

I am thinking.... (Like Juulie) there is no such thing as "over-the-back" (cop).