View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch
To me, an official is like a cop. I was brought up to respect cops because of the job they do.

I believe the correct term of respect would be Policeman, Officer, Sir or Ma'am.

Personally, I don't find the term "cop" much higher up the respect scale than "pig."

Just the humble way that I was brought up.
I certainly apologize for giving offense. I was taught that "cop" was an old British abbreviation for "Constable on Patrol". For me the term connotes a real person, above and beyond the badge. (I must admit, however, that on the few occasions I have been pulled over, it is always "Sir" or "Ma'am.) I have worked with many policemen and police departments over the years, including the Maryland State Police, the Florida Highway Patrol, and the North Dakota Highway Patrol, and am currently working with a federal law enforcement agency. I even got a nomination (although not the award) for the International Association of Chiefs of Police "Police Science Award". There is certainly no way that I meant to show disrespect to a profession that contributes so much and that I have had to opportunity to work with frequently over the years.