View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
It was hardly an insult. I explained why I coach already. Others have stated that when they coached they behaved poorly. I prefer to have my son see a good example of how it is done. Another stated that coaches are merely living vicariously through their kids. Maybe some are, but painting with a broad brush is dangerous.
OK. As I understand it, you weren't declaring that the class of non-coaching parents are "part-time." Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I took offense earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Do you have children who are engaged in competitive sports at the moment?

If you engage in bad behavior that your children see then yes, that is part time parenting. I prefer to set a good example whenever I am on the field - as umpire or coach.
Hmm. I engage in bad behavior all the time that my children (and lots of other people as well) see. I'm not saying this proudly, just that I recognize that I'm not perfect. Since the class of parents that are observed to behave badly is probably universal, I'm not sure what your point is.

When my younger son was 13, he was U1 in a 11U LL game of some importance. One manager was known to, while remaining fully human, engage in rodentary behavior. After the game, my son explained that the respected manager had been riding him the whole game, and in the later innings, with his team down by 8 runs, told my son that perhaps he was too young to be umpiring such an important game.

My comment to my son (remember, this is back at home; I wasn't on that field at the time) was that he should have ejected the manager for that comment, which he found to be encouraging. To be honest, I don't know if I used the term, Rat. But, assuming for the moment that I did, do you really think that the term was the inappropriate part of the event?