Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 12:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLeaguer View Post
Are you trying to imply that we who don't choose to coach youth sports are inferior parents?
He'll probably call you a bad parent and then wish you a Happy Easter.

Like most rats, he's an expert at talking out of both sides of his mouth.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

Just as there are, in fact, umpires who engage in "Smitty" behavior, so too are there coaches who engage in "ratlike" behavior. That was apparent to me back when I was coaching, and my experience as an umpire hasn't changed either perception.

When I first started posting on this board as a coach, I noticed the use of the term, but decided it was not worth concerning myself about. When my colleagues now use it in conversation it doesn't bother me in the least.

My personal opinion is that it is best not to go into working a game with the mindset that "all coaches are rats", but it would be foolish to go into a game without realizing that ANY coach could become a "rat" in a NY minute.

I find that if I treat all the participants in the game with respect, they are much more likely to respond in kind. But I don't much care for being taken advantage of, so I remain warily vigilant as well.

JM
Realistic and very well put. There is hope for Illinois.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you trying to imply that we who don't choose to coach youth sports are inferior parents?
My post was in response to a member who wrote that coaches are merely living vicariously through their kids. For every lesson taught at home, the ones of sporting fields/courts are just as important. I choose to be part of both educational processes and take exception to those who think name calling is appropriate behavior for people who are supposed to maintain a sense of integrity and discipline.

Antagonistic attitudes are regularly on display here. From those who claim you need thousands of posts to be considered an 'expert', to those who belittle rookie umpires who simply come here to read and learn, it is sad. Umpires have enough enemies.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm still not clear on your intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
My post was in response to a member who wrote that coaches are merely living vicariously through their kids.
If you had meant to send a private message, there are features on this forum for that. Then it would be just an irrelevant personal insult used in a heated argument. But you made it in public, and you seemed to be calling a broad group of folks out with the name, "part-time parents." I read this forum; I don't coach youth sports. As I read your public post, I meet the criteria for your derogatory remark.

I'll ask again, did you intend to call me by that name?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I bet you have never missed a pitch, blown a call or done anything to make experienced eyes roll. That is the epitome of arrogance. You expect others to be better than you are. Nice.
Honestly, I don't think anyone reading along has any clue where you came up with this load of droppings.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyone reading along has any clue where you came up with this load of droppings.
I responded to post #49. Expecting coaches and players to conduct themselves perfectly requires the same commitment from the umpire. Justifying name calling is juvenile behavior. Do you permit coaches and players to call you names?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you had meant to send a private message, there are features on this forum for that.
I responded to a public post. I did not need to send a PM.

Quote:
Then it would be just an irrelevant personal insult used in a heated argument. But you made it in public, and you seemed to be calling a broad group of folks out with the name, "part-time parents."
It was hardly an insult. I explained why I coach already. Others have stated that when they coached they behaved poorly. I prefer to have my son see a good example of how it is done. Another stated that coaches are merely living vicariously through their kids. Maybe some are, but painting with a broad brush is dangerous.

Quote:
I read this forum; I don't coach youth sports. As I read your public post, I meet the criteria for your derogatory remark.

I'll ask again, did you intend to call me by that name?
Do you have children who are engaged in competitive sports at the moment?

If you engage in bad behavior that your children see then yes, that is part time parenting. I prefer to set a good example whenever I am on the field - as umpire or coach.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I guess as the newbie I will ask the question.

WITHDTHTDWOP.

What in the heck does this have to do with original post.

Agree to disagree and get back on point. I do not know how to use the quites and all the fancy stuff you do. However, settle this amongst yourself.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

nor can I spell... quotes.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ok

Quote:
It was hardly an insult. I explained why I coach already. Others have stated that when they coached they behaved poorly. I prefer to have my son see a good example of how it is done. Another stated that coaches are merely living vicariously through their kids. Maybe some are, but painting with a broad brush is dangerous.
OK. As I understand it, you weren't declaring that the class of non-coaching parents are "part-time." Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I took offense earlier.
Quote:
Do you have children who are engaged in competitive sports at the moment?

If you engage in bad behavior that your children see then yes, that is part time parenting. I prefer to set a good example whenever I am on the field - as umpire or coach.
Hmm. I engage in bad behavior all the time that my children (and lots of other people as well) see. I'm not saying this proudly, just that I recognize that I'm not perfect. Since the class of parents that are observed to behave badly is probably universal, I'm not sure what your point is.

When my younger son was 13, he was U1 in a 11U LL game of some importance. One manager was known to, while remaining fully human, engage in rodentary behavior. After the game, my son explained that the respected manager had been riding him the whole game, and in the later innings, with his team down by 8 runs, told my son that perhaps he was too young to be umpiring such an important game.

My comment to my son (remember, this is back at home; I wasn't on that field at the time) was that he should have ejected the manager for that comment, which he found to be encouraging. To be honest, I don't know if I used the term, Rat. But, assuming for the moment that I did, do you really think that the term was the inappropriate part of the event?
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 03:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You clearly believe that duplicity is appropriate. I could have sworn that 'rats' behave one way in a given situation and then another when necessary. Ironic.
No, he believes it's expected. And referring to certain coaches as rats is simply truth in advertising. True in all sports: some are all the time, some never are, most are some of the time.

But if you'd prefer to call a spade a rose, go for it. You'll probably need an oxygen tank at some point, though.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Apparently, there is a Nazarene umpiring baseball in Illinois.

Who knew?

Me? I'm a hypocrite who gets to teach my kids lessons that stem from my own poor behavior now and then.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come on, this is getting old.
Yes, it is.

Neither of you seems to have taken the hint from the deleted posts.

Too bad.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
I guess as the newbie I will ask the question.

WITHDTHTDWOP.

What in the heck does this have to do with original post.

Agree to disagree and get back on point. I do not know how to use the quites and all the fancy stuff you do. However, settle this amongst yourself.

As the originator of this post I would have to agree with jophyal. WTH is all the rat talk have to do with my original question of abbreviations that are used in this forum. I was hoping to get an understanding of terms used in the posts so that I could understand better.

Now I think I just need some D-CON!! (no need for abbreviation on this one, layman's terms = rat poisoning)
Closed Thread