View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Spoken like a true RAT. If a coach complains about an umpire, it is probably the umpire's fault. Utter bull$hit.

RAT is a term used by umpires speaking to other umpires. It reinforces our camaraderie. It reminds us that we are the only ones out there with honesty and integrity. We can't ever compromise that. Every game at every level, a RAT will try and get an edge by being dishonest or by downright cheating. Every single game.
Integrity. That's a funny word coming from someone who just behaved as badly as you.

If you are worried about coaches trying to get an advantage then it is time to hang up your gear. If a coach breaks a rule, do your job.

Quote:
We have to be honest and impartial from the first pitch to the last. There is no such requirement for a coach or player.
No kidding? What is your point?

Quote:
In fact, dishonesty and attempts at cheating are expected of them. How often have you heard a coach say "You can't blame me for trying" after an unsuccessful attempt to gain an advantage by being disingenuous.
No. Thanks for admitting what I have stated all along. A coach is expected to seek every advantage he can in order to give his team a chance to win.

Quote:
Our job is to make sure the game is played fairly and in accordance with the rules. Who wins the game is irrelevant.
Again, what is your point? Agreeing with me is flattering.

Quote:
A RAT's job is to win the game by hook or by crook. In fact, cheating is actually taught by very good coaches and managers at the highest levels. It's part of the game.
One more time, thank you for agreeing with me. Coaches are expected to help their team win. They have rules to follow while doing this. If they break the rules then they can be held accountable. If you aren't capable of doing this then try volleyball.

Quote:
Off the field, a coach can be a fine upstanding citizen. On the field, he is a RAT who won't hesitate to try and get me to make a mistake that will benefit his team. And if he succeeds at stealing the cheese, he will be applauded.
I know plenty of umpires who are pricks - on and off the field. I remember Brinkmann tell us how pro umpires F-bombed coaches all the time but dumped them when they did it. Is he a rat because he parlayed an advantage?

Quote:
I am grateful for RATS. Without them, there would be no need for umpires.
If that is the case then you should seek to work elsewhere. I enjoy seeing most of the coaches I work games with. I get respect because I give it. When I returned to this board I was met with animosity for wishing others well and encouraging civility. I received a couple PMs from guys who said that if I don't like it I should leave. That's funny; the same guys who propose to call coaches names also like to do it to fellow umpires. That is called insecurity and is extremely childish.

Have you ever coached a competitive team?