View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 22, 2011, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=HokieUmp;752605]Do you ever get down from your high horse, or just have supplies airlifted in?
Quote:

Wow. When a guy condescends and whines here he is applauded. When I ask others to treat each other better it is called being on a high horse. (sigh)

Quote:
Do you REALLY believe the umpires here go out and call a coach or player a rat on the field? Really?
I believe that some here pretend to be tough. They pose and offer advice that is bad for those still trying to learn our craft. I don't think they have the courage of their convictions but enjoy pretending that they do.

Quote:
And do you REALLY believe in this mythical Republic of Respectistan, where we all get along, and it's about improving the game all the time? (Some of the time, sure it is, but not all.)
Long ago, I thought that it was us against them. I was trained well and taught to show them who's boss. After a while, I started watching the veterans who did things differently. They still carried a big stick but didn't brag about it. I was also impressed by their lack of interest in stirring the pot, be it with coaches or fellow umpires. I see no need to insult fellow umpires here, but some of you seem to enjoy it.

Quote:
Our assignor's already told us in a meeting this year there are plenty of coaches, HS and below, in our area that while they might blow smoke up our skirts on the field, they will turn around and call him after the game and ask if we've ever seen a game before. Is that professional? Not so much.
Do you have a point?

[QUOTE[I can tell you the number of times I've called a coach's boss, either a principal or a league official, and said anything like that: zero. That's basically the equivalent of what a coach does.
I wasn't aware that umpires should hold grudges that require such action. I may be pissed off at a coach who acts like a fool but I try to leave it on the field. I have seen plenty of coaches at stores, movie theaters or restaurants over the years. I prefer to have them think of me as professional rather than not.

[QUOTE]While I'm civil to every coach on every field I work, I also know at any moment, they'll turn on me, and I'm suddenly the no-good SOB that's trying to eff his team.[.QUOTE]

I would consider the reasons why they turn on you.

Quote:
While name-calling in a profession is unacceptable, it appears THAT crap is a-okay in baseball, at least until the point where you EJ them.
See, that is where we actually agree. I have never once stated that a coach who acts like an a$$ should be ignored. If a coach behaves inappropriately, dump him. Do your job.

Quote:
Referring to guys like that as a rat on a message board helps me vent some steam, and keeps me from telling them on the field what I think of them. So it works.
Have you ever coached a competitive team for a season?