View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

As an umpire, I earned my thick skin long ago. I don't call players, coaches and administrators names and don't tolerate it in kind. I have not encountered a reason to hold a grudge against any of them in the many years I have worked ball games. I find it funny that anyone thinks that coaches should behave better than they do.

The rules of baseball at all levels allow us to penalize cheaters. Do your job.

The rules say nothing about lying. I can only think of a few things that a coach could misrepresent the truth about that concern me and most of these involve player safety. If his lie breaks a rule then I do my job.

Over the years, I have met several umpires who work or worked MLB. One regaled me with stories of Billy Martin and Earl Weaver that would make a nun cringe. Though he despised some of their behavior, he held the utmost respect for them. I have never forgotten that lesson. It is what I teach my son and his team and how I conduct myself with the coaches I encounter while umpiring.

I have encountered my share of coaches who behaved badly. The best umpires know how to focus and behave without being compelled to ridicule others and hold grudges. Some of the best taught me that and it has served me well.

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 08:20pm.