View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Completely untrue. I have coached. When I coached, I was a rat too. If you can get a crumb, as a coach, you'll get the crumb. I respect the game tremendously, but also understand that coaches will use whatever they can to get an edge, and will profess to not know something if it benefits them... i.e. a rat.
I'm sorry you considered yourself to be a rat when coaching your child(ren). I hope they didn't see you behave inappropriately towards an umpire, opposing coach or player.

I take great pains to separate my umpiring from my coaching. Harboring animosity towards another adult who is doing their job is a waste of time. I expect that the umpires I see working my son's 11U team will make mistakes. Hell, I worked a college game the other day; after the final out the catcher turned to me and said, "Nice game, Blue. You only missed three pitches. That's better than we've seen all year." I smiled and said, "Nah, I missed two. Thanks for keeping me safe." Coaches should be no more perfect than umpires. I keep trying but still haven't called a flawless game. I don't expect to coach one either.