View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

I like it - but of course, your talking about during the game, while I was referring to some pre-game set-up comment that the coach might make. Deal with the in-game stuff like any other comment you receive. But it is wrong for a coach to be giving you a "violations scouting report" on his opponent before a game.
Yeah, I know. Frankly, I don't discuss any pregame suggestions along the lines of "How ya gonna call..." or "I've noticed #5 has a tendency to..." If a coach asks me how I'm gonna call something I tell him to have a good game & walk away.

Quote:

By the way, not all refs are going to see everything, and you could do worse than to hear somebody point out some rough play in the post. You may not have been looking, and maybe it does need to be called. If I am going to tell you anything during a game, it will be on those lines - directed toward a repeated act by a player that I think is being ignored but shouldn't be.
Absolutely, I agree 100%. My original post was mostly tongue in cheek, although I admit to having pulled the leg of a coach like this when I didn't think his complaint was valid. If a player or coach comes to me in a reasonable manner & requests I watch for something I'm completely open to suggestion: "Geeze, I haven't seen that but I'll be looking for it now. Thanks." And I will look for it and I will call it if I see it. Trouble is, as hard as I look I don't often see what they are asking me to see.