View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

The thread has diverted a bit from the coaches box to how much prodding you should take from a coach and when...

I always make a habit of, during the pre-game with the coaches to establish the box, and state that we're not going to be fanatical about it unless they become a pain in the a**. I wish them luck and then leave it at that. If they come up with questions, I answer/deflect as necessary. "Coach, we're going to try our best to call what's needed", in a positive tone, is a tool I use a lot in those situations. Make no promises, do not get roped into any specific rif-raf, and get out.

As for the other stuff, coaches that are inclined to "work" the officials (and not all of them are), will do it as far as they think they can get away with. It's part of our job to absorb what we think needs absorbing, to put up the stop sign when we feel we have to, and to apply "in one ear out the other" to the rest.

That ideal plateu with "unapproachable" on one side and "getting away with murder" on the other side can be a tricky place to find.