View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
For those that are commenting on the specifics of the coaching box and laying it out for coaches in pregame, I look at this as just an example of a type of behavior. It really could be anything, such as "Watch their center, she tends to throw a lot of elbows if you aren't watching." The intent here wasn't to obtain clarification of enforcement of a rule, it was to put the ref in a certain mindset with relation to the other bench.

Coach (barely audible): "Hey ref, watch #5 OK, he's throwing that elbow (or whatever)."

Me: "Hey thanks coach, #5 on white. I'll take care of it right away."

Coach: "White??!! No! Not white! Blue! #5 on blue!!"

Me: "Got it coach, white 5. I'll be looking."

This is guaranteed to work.
I like it - but of course, your talking about during the game, while I was referring to some pre-game set-up comment that the coach might make. Deal with the in-game stuff like any other comment you receive. But it is wrong for a coach to be giving you a "violations scouting report" on his opponent before a game.

By the way, not all refs are going to see everything, and you could do worse than to hear somebody point out some rough play in the post. You may not have been looking, and maybe it does need to be called. If I am going to tell you anything during a game, it will be on those lines - directed toward a repeated act by a player that I think is being ignored but shouldn't be.