Thread: NFHS Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

RRL

I've worked 2-Ref, 1 Ref/1 Line, 1 Ref/2 Line, 2 Ref/1 Line and even did an exhibition game for fun that was 2 Ref/2 Line. My opinion is that USA Hockey's recognized systems are the best for the level of hockey that we cover. Two referees and a linesman is ridiculous because it simply confuses roles, since a referee is expected to call lines at some times but not others.

By the way, the four man system used in the NHL is interesting. After working it on a full sized rink (85' x 200') during an exhibition game, I was suprised to find that the ice was not nearly as crowded as I expected. The mechanics were simple too - the linesmen work just like they would in a RLL system, and the referees work just like they would in a 2-man RR system, just without line responsibilities. On the full size rink, you can stay out of the way of the linesmen with actually less difficulty than you could in the 3 man RLL system when you are trying to cut up ice to get ahead of the breakaway pass while ducking the linesman's wash-out signal for no-ice.

RR & RLL are really the only two that make sense for amateur ice hockey.

P.S. One ref and one line is horrible as well - it just means that the ref skates his butt off to make the calls, and still has to keep track of the lines.