View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But then again that is what Illini fans do, worry about things that have no relevance to them.
I'm not sure I follow you - how does not liking a scumbag who directly affected the program for several years afterward "have no relevence"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They are still holding onto why Self left their program 8 years ago.
This one I don't understand as well. Not your comment, but the feeling that Self was some sort of "traitor". Not all IL fans actually hold that opinion, btw. He had ties to KS, and for him it was move up, along with being closer geographically to his family, I believe. Also, he didn't exactly go pursuing the job; the only reason it was open was because Matt Dougherty was fired at North Carolina, which opened up the job for Roy Williams to leave KS. I personally met him once when his son played Little League on a different team from my son - he was engaging and seemed like a class individual. He didn't do anything that I'm aware to screw the program or the school, other than leave for what he considered a better job. In the meantime, there might be some fans who thought they had found a long-term, top-level coach, and he didn't stay as intended.

(Used with permission.)