View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've been mulling over your answers and have a couple of clarifying questions.

I see. So the runner is awarded whatever base he can reasonably be determined to have achieved had the obstruction not occurred. Thus a close play at any base on an obstructed runner, the runner is awarded the base.
Generally true.

Quote:
I guess the confusion on my part is the mistake by F5. Had the overthrow not occurred, R1 likely wouldn't have advanced beyond second. Yet it seems that the obstruction does not negate any continuing action. I can't quite word it correctly, but it seems that all action is considered independent of the obstruction.
The specifics depend on the rules code, but if the obstruction is a "delayed dead ball" then we wait until all play is over (FED), or a play is made on the obstructed runner (OBR) before making any awards needed.

Quote:
Two outs. Batter hits a ground ball to left field. R3 scores easily. R2 continues past third and is on his way home. F7 throws home, and R3 seeing the potential close play at home, interferes with F2. R2 scores.

Now, as discussed before, the ball is dead upon the interference. So, R2 returns to 3rd, right? But since R3 already scored, he can't be called out (already a retired runner). How is this dealt with?
R2 is out.