View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question Palming?

O.K., being an ex-coach of 18+ years and now as a second-year official, I have a question? Are we actually calling the hesitation dribble as palming? Or are we calling palming when the ball comes to rest in the hand of the offensive player when they physically control the ball with one hand?

My definition of the hesitation dribble was and still is, a dribble executed by the offensive player which helps him/her to change speeds. Nobody in their right mind is going to call palming simply because someone is changing speeds using the dribble.

In many cases, yes, this does mean the offensive player may rise from a control dribble stance (which is lower) to a speed dribble stance (which is more upright) and vice versa. But, simply rising or crouching in the dribble does not mean that one is palming the basketball.

I for one, cannot and will not call palming simply because the offensive player "rises up on their toes". IMO, the hesitation dribble executed properly is not palming. It is simply another technique used to improve offensive skill.

The only point I'm really trying to make here is that a player who "rises up on their toes" is not necessarily palming the basketball. And to call it based on whether the offense rises or crouches in the dribble is asking for trouble. Opinions?