View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can We Clear This Up ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why was that confusing? The NFHS has made it clear that players are not "participating" for purposes of this rule when the ball is dead and the clock isn't running.
Citation please?

NFHS 10-1-6: A team shall not: Have more than five team members participating simultaneously

10.1.6 SITUATION: With Team A leading 51 to 50, a held ball is called. A6
properly reports and enters the game. Time is then called by Team A. The clock
shows two seconds remaining in the game. After play is resumed by a throw-in,
the officials: (a) recognize that A has six players competing, but cannot get the
clock stopped; or (b) do not notice Team A has six players on the court. Following
the throw-in, time expires. Team B now reports to the officials that Team A had
six players on the court. RULING: In (a), since one of the officials had knowledge
that Team A had six players participating simultaneously and this was detected
prior to time expiring, a technical foul is assessed against Team A. In (b), since it
was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after time
had expired, it is too late to assess any penalty.

Question: Head coach of Team A requests, and is granted, a timeout, at which point he complains to the officials that Team B has six team members participating. Officials, who have been unaware that six team members have been participating up until that point, count six team members walking off the court into their timeout huddle (Please note that in 10.1.6 SITUATION (b) the officials were not aware of the additional player until after time expires, which, to me, means the same as an intermission, when all team members are bench personnel).

Ruling on my timeout situation?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2011 at 12:19pm.