Thread: Obstruction??
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

"...But. maybe Cookie has another point. I'm just guessin'..."

No, not really. I believe we're getting two different situations mixed up here.

As for the OP (UMPJM), I had OBS b/c F2 didn't provide "access to the plate" to the runner.

Then I posed a similar situation in my 2nd post regarding an F2 who had set up in front of the plate but dropped his knee (shin guard completely blocking the 3rd base side access to the plate) before the throw reached his mitt. However, the ball reached his mitt before R3 slid into his shin guard that effectively stopped R3's feet from touching home. (He was a pretty big kid with a big strong leg.) F2's mitt with the ball "securely possessed" within whipped over to his left and tagged the runner out. No OBS call on my part here! I believe Mike said that this call would be in error according to a 2011 Fed Rule - a new rule that I could not find.

"Heading towards" a base is a bit stretching the definition of "attempting to achieve," and also Rule "2-22-3 - (definition of 'Obstruction') The fielder without possession of the ball denies access to the base the runner is attempting to achieve" is not new to the the 2011 Rule Book. It appeared in the 2008 Rule Book when this incident happened in my game...