View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
This was recently brought to my attention, I am interested in some opinions:

R2, outs and count does not matter.

R2 tries to steal 3B. R2 overslides 3B. BU calls R2 safe. Manager has discussion with BU, who then comes to check with PU in a conference. PU says he did not get a good look at the call. You as PU say:

A. PU says "I go with your call."

B. PU says either: "IMO he's out", or "IMO he's safe". BU then accepts PU's judgment and makes that his call.

C. PU tells BU to "Make a call and stick with it, if you are wanting to change you call do it."

Questions:

1. How do you deal with BU in this case?

2. How do you deal with either manager when they come to you as the PU for an explanation?

3. What influences you to make this call on the level of ball you most commonly work?

Thank you for your consideration and opinions.
I see a bunch of responses below, but I'm responding before reading them. All three, A, B, and C seem inappropriately abrupt. I, as PU, have already said all I have to offer. Partner, I have nothing to add, or Partner, I didn't see anything that would change this call. A) PU doesn't "go with BU's call" ... it's BU's call to make, PU is not "over" him. B) PU has no "opinion". BU should be asking a specific question here... did the runner overslide where I was blocked, etc. PU's opinion on safe/out should never be uttered. C) more correct but rudely stated for no apparent reason.

Regarding the questions at the bottom, 1) Why does BU need to be dealt with, I'm missing something. 2) Nothing - direct manager to the umpire who made the call. 3) Huh?

West Houston Mike