View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
My apologies for being blunt, but given this play you read your partner and call the runner out in order to help his doubt? Given your past posts here I doubt that you are advocating such an irresponsible mechanic. We provide what we saw and use our post game to discuss ways to improve his calls.

This reminds me of umpires who give proximity outs on forces rather than making the actual call. A long time ago, this may have been accepted practice but has since changed in an effort to get all of our calls correct. Video replay did away with a lot of that misplaced arrogance. Call what you see. If you don't see an out, he is safe.

Have a great season. We still have snow in the forecast.
I don't think that's what he was saying but, I could be wrong. What I read is he's going to be honest with his partner.

BU - I've got him safe, did he make it back to bag on other side?

PU - tells what he saw, gives BU information he needs.

Could be, "he got back fine from what i saw" or could be "no he was six inches off the bag" or it could be, "man I couldn't tell".

Then BU makes a final decision etc.,

At least that's what I read into his comments.

Oh edited to add, and if the coach wants to complain to me, I've going to tell him to hire three umpires and then we won't be having this discussion ...

Thanks
David

Last edited by David B; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 08:03am. Reason: add comment