View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 1999, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 11-10-1999 12:07 PM
Ralph - I always start the count in this situation. Since we are using a highly visable count, I have never had a problem with a coach. In this case (and in my opinion) the rule is the rule. Same thing is the following very rare instance: A1 shoots, ball hits backboard and caroms into A's backcourt where it is recovered by member of team A. I start 10 second count. As I said, this is very rare, but it has happened. Again, never had a problem with players or coaches on this. I admit it is a little different than the first situation, but as I said, in this case, the rule is the rule. I don't want to start deciding which rules to enforce and which ones not to enforce. (OK, OK - in a a blowout I may get short term memory loss on some things)

Mark, I wasn't referring to the starting of the count, I was referring to the backcourt call. Just because the ball hadn't touched the floor in backcourt when A2 touched it wouldn't be grounds for me to call a backcourt. By the letter of the law, a backcourt call might be in order but to call one would seem to me to somehow violate the spirit of the law. It would be pure Dickens to sell. Again, for me, a NO CALL.