Thread: Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 14, 2000, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcallm
Post the one thing that you learned from a veteran/experienced/"old" umpire that has stayed with you through your years of umping.
My mentor, David Mosqueda, had one piece of advice never equaled: “Don’t make trouble for yourself.” David’s point: Umpires get into enough hot water without lighting the stove themselves.

We all recognize the names of the guys flicking their BICs: (1) Mr. Eager Beaver, who cannot wait to enforce the new rules; (2) Mr. By The Book, who calls every statute exactly as the rule requires; (3) Mr. Show Off, who makes himself the center of attention; (4) Mr. Wake Me When It’s Over, who is so laid back he often forgets what sport it is; and (5) Mr. Call Everything, who delights in playing games decided by the fine print.

Those are my Big Five; I’m sure other umpires have their own names for the officials who simply cannot wait to create their own case book games.

Let me say, up front, that David’s aphorism does not mean the official fails to make the gutsy call; it means he reserves his energy for those moments in a game, in a season, in a career when his decisions count, when his “Out/Safe” or “Strike/Ball” help preserve the balance between the offense and the defense; in short, when his call counts.

I’ve made a lot of big calls in my life, but — after David — never one that was unnecessary.