Thread: Runners Swap
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
If the swap occured without notice of the umpire and the #3 batter (Charles) scores while the #2 batter (Baker) is still on third, the the only reasonable conclusion would be that Charles passed Baker while running the bases. Call Charles out via 7.08(h). If still less than 3 outs, leave Baker where he's at. Leave Batter where he's at. Eject Charles and Coach when they start arguing with you.
It's also a reasonable conclusion that Charles and Baker batted out of order without being discovered. You would have to know with certainty the order Baker and Charles came to bat.

If I were convinced the players had switched positions on the bases, I definitely agree with dumping the players and the coach. I don't particularly care if the coach knows what's going on as he has a duty to prevent this stuff. That might vary depending on the coach's reputation though. (A coach that's know to be squeaky clean probably get the benefit of the doubt from me.)

I have a harder time with the outs, even if I like the idea of throwing every thing we can at them. How can we consider movement during a defensive conference to be running the bases (in either direction)? Are we going to start calling the trail runner out if he gets over to the third base coach first or stays longer than the lead runner?

Two outs may be the just solution, but I think it has dubious support in the rules.