View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
The youth rec league I work has a similar "no pressing" rule that goes like this:
11U: no press at all in the first half. Press allowed in the second half until one team obtains a 10+ point lead. At that point, the leading team cannot press, but the losing team can.

12U - 18U: pressing allowed for any team that isn't leading by 20+ points.

Here's how we interpret it:
If B clearly (in the judgement of the officials) secures possession in their backcourt and makes no attempt to advance toward their frontcourt (in the judgement of the officials), then all of A's players must retreat into their backcourt (B's frontcourt) until B crosses the mid-court line.

If, however, there is any doubt over possession, or if B attempts to advance immediately, all pressing restrictions are off and A is free to play defense in the frontcourt. In other words "If your player runs herself into trouble, that's her fault"

It causes some confusion, to be sure, but I try to make sure I get the coaches (especially the 11U coaches) on my side and ask them to instruct their players to "fall back" when necessary, because they players will listen to their coaches voice and not my voice.
Our youth league uses NFHS rules with some modifications. As for BC-guarding; 5th grade on up to HS players are allowed full-court press/zone/trap defense until they are ahead by 20pts or more.

Once ahead by 20pts they cannot guard in BC (even "inadvertently") the defense must allow the offense to advance the ball into FC before guarding them. HOWEVER, we allow "transition-defense". This means no BC-guarding on ANY inbound play (such as after a basket or a whistle), but if ball is rebounded, stolen, etc... the defense can still guard them in the BC.