Thread: Oh what fun
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile NFHS

As I read the scenario, the ball bounced off the defender's head and went through the hoop, untouched by any other player. Given that, it is not a try nor tip (i.e., shot). So, the ball becomes dead at the whistle and the "basket" never happened.

Since there is no team posession, the next throw-in will be determined by the A/P, which I think you meant to say was team B, the defense. Put 1 second back on the clock and have team B inbound the ball near the pile-up.

Everyone will agree it is better to not have this situation, even in a church league. You could blow the whistle after the two players are on the floor before the throw-in. Tell the players to get up and be more careful. The rules don't really permit this, but in a church league you can easily do those kind of things.

The other avoidance was already mentioned -- you don't stop a game for an injury unless a) the player is in additional danger if the game proceeds, or b) nothing exciting is about to happen (e.g., ball is lazily in the back court), or c) the injury is so serious that seconds count (very unusual!). Given this scenario as I picture it, knowing the time on the clock, I hold my whistle.

The odd thing here is hold your whistle and team A wins. Blow the whistle and team B wins. Not the place a referee wants to find themself.