View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Which line is to be used for the purposes of the 10 second count is not specified in the book and I could see arguments for using any of the three.

However, I'd be inclined to use the one line for each team for all purposes...the one farthest from their basket.

The main purpose of the 10 second count is to prevent a team from using the space of the entire court for more than 10 seconds, not that they have to move it forward a certain distance. Once they've got it past the line farthest from their basket, they'd be in the space normally permitted.

Whatever you choose, COMMUNICATE it.

Last time I had this situation, it was when two teams both had facilities problems and were using another gym that they could get....one unfamiliar to either. Well before tipoff, we informed the coaches and suggested they instruct their players.

Just before tip-off, I took a moment to address the small crowd to avoid the inevitable screaming for over-and-back...no need getting them all worked up over an unusual situation. It still happened with a few late arrivals. Usually, the fans near them clued them in. In a couple of cases, I informed them during a timeout/intermissions. Once everyone knew the situation, there was no issue.
This is good advice for anything that is out of the ordinary - and out of the ordinary from the players and coaches and fans' perspective, not the official's.

Also good advice. I had an OT football game last season, with a very large. I know that addressing the fans made a world of difference.