View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Short Gyms" Division Line is still Division Line?

Short court division line extended?

Some of the Middle School courts in my area are quite dated. Some still have fan shaped backboards. In many of them the courts are shorter than "regulation" in length and/or width. I am sure I am not the only one to have worked a court that was so short the top of the 3pt-arcs and the center circles were almost touching.

Anyway, I had a long time coach tell me something I have never heard of before. I'm thinking myth here, but wanted to see if anyone else has heard of this or can back it up as ever being true.

After a game a coach tells me that when the court is "short" in length, our 10sec count still goes to the division line, but once they gain FC status the division line is extended into BC several feet. He says that there are often lines on the court indicating the "new division line". I see the markings on the floor he is referring to, but I've always thought these were for volleyball or some other activity.

ANYONE heard of this?