Thread: Oh what fun
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 13, 2000, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Alright, I know how you all love a good story and a refereeing puzzle all rolled into one. Here’s one to remember. Opening week for the all City church league and I get dragged into working because we got a ref too sick. (Normally I am strictly books and clock.) Somebody had the bright idea that it would be neat to pair up the two final teams from last season to kick off this season. The championship last year was mired in a bit of controversy, so needless to say this game was hard fought.

Team A is down by one following a couple of free throws and now has all of two seconds to throw the ball the length of the court and shoot for a win. Team B is being cautious not to draw any fouls, but elects to not guard the A player throwing the ball in. So we have 9 players huddled 60 feet away from the ball between the half court line and the key. Here is the sequence of events that seemed to last forever but took less that two seconds to occur (A5 is inbouding the ball, Team B with possession).

My partner gives A5 the ball and starts his 5 second count
A1 steps on B1’s foot and goes down. No foul, no advantage.
B1 falls over A1 and covers him, again no foul.
A5 throws a baseball style pass towards the huddle.
B2, who is busy looking at the pile up is struck with the ball right in the side of the head, goes down like a lead balloon.
The clock starts.
I am concerned that the struck player may be hurt, I blow the whistle to stop play.
The ball goes through the hoop.
The final buzzer sounds.
B2 comes to with a big headache.
All hell breaks loose.

Team A wants two points and the win and no time on the clock
or a foul on B1, two shots (bonus), and most of the time gone (with B1 fouling out with no subs)
or B2 removed for an injury timeout and all the time on the clock.

Team B wants a foul on A1 (bonus), and he would be fouled out
Or most of the time run off the clock with a jump ball
And insists that B2 stay in the game.

Please also note that my two partners were little comfort…the lead was too obstructed to see anything and the trail was counting the inbounds and saw only the player struck with the ball. In the end, I reset everything, gave no fouls, and simply played it over. This is a remedy available to us Church league folks, but I was wondering how the official stance would have been under say NCAA rules?

Enjoy.