View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2011, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You know what I love about this?

Untrained folks for years have been screaming to call the strike zone as it is in the book where the armpits were the lowest common physical attribute that could be seen by the umpire even though umpires were directed to bring the top of the zone down a little bit.

Now, the NCAA changes their rule citing a part of the body that cannot be used as a focal point and all of a sudden, all is good in the NCAA world, even though the umpires' strike zone is relative the same.
Just in case you were interested:
"In its natural position the inclination of the Sternum is oblique from above, downward and forward. It is slightly convex in front and concave behind; broad above, becoming narrowed at the point where the manubrium joins the body, after which it again widens a little to below the middle of the body, and then narrows to its lower extremity. Its average length in the adult is about 17 cm., and is rather greater in the male than in the female."

Since it certainly can not be seen, I always wondered if I should check each batter before she came up to feel for the bottom.

But all in all, I like the location for strikes where I think the strenum is....