Thread: Over-ruled
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:50am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
2nd quarter – B up by 25 points. I was closed down at lead with the ball high on the weak side. A1 drove into the top of the key and made a pass to A2 under the basket. Unfortunately, the pass wrong-footed A2 and she couldn’t’ twist around quick enough to get a hand on the ball. I watched the ball leave A1’s hands, sail though the lane and land OOB. I blew my whistle and indicated the direction of B’s basket.

Twweeet! “NO! It’s this direction” the referee at C yelled. I looked up in time to see this guy waving his arms and pointing in A’s direction. He yells out “B1 tipped the ball” loud enough for all in the gym to hear.

I quickly reviewed the sitch. I know C should have come to me to ask if I was sure I had the call and ask if I saw a tip. Since C had so publicly expressed our disagreement, going with my original call would have cast doubt on our crew. It wasn’t a pivotal call and despite the point differential, the players had settled into a flow. At this point, I determined the best option was to give the ball to A. It was past the time where conferring seemed appropriate.

At half-time, this guy said he wouldn’t have made the call if he weren’t 110% sure. I mumbled under my breath that he shouldn’t have made the call at all, sure or not. Since he didn’t have the angle I enjoyed, I was fairly certain but not positive he was wrong. I was also 110% sure he went about this in a totally unacceptable way!

I know someone is gonna ask: Pre-game? Nope, my bad. And I had never been on the floor with this cretin either which makes me triply at odds with myself. I’m usually pretty good at working in a least a quick review.

I’m not quite through venting. I think I’ll go throw a chair on the court.

What would you have done?
Why mumble under your breath? You have to work the rest of the game with the guy so why not talk about the proper way to handle the situation if it were to come up again? Put your frustration aside for the sake of the game and discuss calmly how to do it right. Remember to tell him the dangers of "over ruling" a partner and the repercussions for both of you.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019