View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 12, 2000, 11:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref
BigDave,

A D-1 supervisor told me years ago "if you arn't talking the players out of at least 10 fouls a game you are not doing your Job"

I also express to my partner in our pregame that we will try to avoid calling a foul in the first couple of minute's of play, (of cource we will call all elephants) this will give the teams a chance to get into a flow! We will try talking them out of fouls if we can and start calling them if we can't.

I believe that we should do as much preventive officating as possible. This again is officating the "gray" area and that is what i believe we are judged most by, the "gray" area.

Good Luck

Don,
I prefer to make the call in the first 2 minutes
rather than warning. I think it sets a much better tone
for making the tough calls later on in the game,
particularly with rough play and hand check type things.

-Dan

What do you do after the first 2 minutes? I agree about calling fouls, but after that why change. Once you call something you have to continue to call it that way or you are in trouble. Make the first fouls real fouls and watch out for calling things that are boarderline. I really do not like the terminology tight and loose. It is a foul because of advantange/disadvantage or it is nothing.