View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 12, 2000, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bradley. I think this year's POE is designed to crack down on the so called "hestitation dribble" that we have let go previously. The Rule Chnage booklet that NASO and the NF published this year talked specifically about a player who goes up on his/her tiptoes and and hesitates with the ball. We have our state rules clinic tonight and I'm anxious to hear what Mr. Knox has to say on the subject.

As far as coaches are concerned, I have never heard a coach complain about a palming call as long as you call it at both ends and do it consistently.

UPDATE
At our state clinic tonight, Mr. Knox addressed the comment in the rule book that says, ""Palming" not only occurs while the palm is facing "skyward," but can also occur while the palm is facing the floor." The POE is referring to players who, for example, fakes to the right with a jump or on their tiptoes. The defender follows the fake because the dribble has ended when the ball comes to rest. The offensive player then pushes the ball acrossed his body and starts another dribble. Technically, the player has committed a double dribble, not a palming violation.

We all need to call this more consistently. This will never get cleaned up until we start calling it. It will only get worse.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 12th, 2000 at 10:48 PM]