Thread: End of game
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Of course not! How did you connect those dots?
Let's find the dots:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While this is all true, the earlier something happens (such as an official's mistake that leads to an open three point shot in the third quarter) the more chance the other team has to make up for the mistake.
Quote:
Very well, then. Let's say that you completely kick a block/charge call in the first quarter. A1 drives to the basket, goes airborne, B2 hits LGP too late, the basket is good, and a crash ensues. You stupidly call a charge and wave off the basket. How is Team A ever going to make up for those two points you just negated? The only thing Team A can do it is keep playing and do the best it can. I don't see how it can "make up" for your mistake.
You can certainly affect a close game's outcome at its end, but in reality, no more than you can affect it via a first-quarter kick....
I'm sorry, but what you wrote above (particularly what I highlighted without otherwise altering) leads to the following question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Are you going to suggest a team plays the same in the last minute with a 2 point lead as they do when down by 2 points?
Your suggestion that a kicked block/charge call in the first quarter is just as vital to the end of the game as the same kicked call with 2 seconds left is silly. If it's not what you meant, it's certainly what you wrote.

Quote:
No question. I submit, though, that it has a lot to do with what most people can take in. If you were to take a step back and analyze the totality of a close game, wouldn't you likely find a number of things that could have affected its outcome?
I know this was posed to bob, but my answer is, "of course, you'll find plays that affected the outcome. But their significance on the game is diminished in comparison to events that happened in closer proximity to the end."

If A1 misses two FTs that would have tied the game with a minute left, it's a big deal but not insurmountable. If he misses those same game-tying FTs with 1 second left, overcoming becomes even more difficult. If he misses those same game-tying FTs with no time left, the error has now become insurmountable.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Feb 14, 2011 at 03:00pm.